In today’s digital world, having a strong online presence is crucial for any business looking to attract customers and grow.
And when it comes to local businesses, Google My Business is a game-changer.
After all, Google has over 60% of the search market as compared to other search engines. Some region has an even higher percentage of market share.
It allows businesses to showcase their products, services, and contact information on Google’s search engine, Maps, and other platforms.
However, simply having a Google My Business listing is not enough.
Quick Tips: Make sure you avoid these top 10 local SEO mistakes as well.
Regularly auditing and optimizing your listing is essential to ensure accuracy, increase visibility, and attract more potential customers.
Here, I will delve into why a Google My Business audit is important for your business’s success.
One of the most effective ways to enhance your online visibility is through Google My Business, a free tool that allows businesses to manage their online presence across Google, including search and maps.
However, simply having a Google My Business profile is not enough.
To truly maximize your online presence, you need to conduct regular Google My Business audits to ensure that your profile is optimized for local search and customer engagement.
I will walk you through the steps of conducting a Google My Business audit and provide you with practical tips and insights on how to improve your online presence.
Step 1: Claim and Verify Your Listing
The first step in conducting a Google My Business audit is to claim and verify your listing.
This is important because it ensures that you are the owner of your business and have control over your profile.
To claim and verify your listing, follow these steps:
- Go to Google My Business and click “Start Now” or “Sign In” if you already have an account.
- Enter your business name and address. If your business does not appear in the search results, click “Add Your Business” and follow the prompts to create a new listing.
- Verify your business by selecting a verification method. There are multiple methods to verify your Google Business Profile. The most common method is to receive a postcard in the mail with a verification code. Once you receive the postcard, enter the code in your Google My Business account to complete the verification process.
While you are waiting for your verification code, take the time to optimize your listing by adding photos, updating your business hours, and providing a detailed description of your business.
This will help your profile stand out in search results and attract more customers.
Step 2: Optimize Your Profile
Once you have claimed and verified your listing, the next step is to optimize your profile.
This is important because it helps your profile rank higher in local search results and provides customers with the information they need to make informed decisions.
To optimize your profile, follow these steps:
- Add relevant keywords to your business name and description. This will help your profile appear in search results when customers search for keywords related to your business.
- Choose the right categories for your business. This will help Google understand what your business does and show your profile to customers searching for businesses like yours.
- Add photos and videos to your profile. This will help customers get a better sense of what your business looks like and what products or services you offer.
- Update your business hours and contact information. This will ensure that customers can easily find and contact your business.
By optimizing your profile, you can improve your online visibility and attract more customers to your business.
Step 3: Monitor and Respond to Reviews
Reviews are an important part of your Google My Business profile because they provide social proof of your business’s quality and customer service.
Monitoring and responding to reviews is important because it shows customers that you care about their feedback and are committed to providing a positive experience.
To monitor and respond to reviews, follow these steps:
- Go to your Google My Business dashboard and click on “Reviews”.
- Read each review carefully and respond to each one, thanking customers for positive feedback and addressing any concerns or issues raised in negative reviews.
- Use negative reviews as an opportunity to improve your business and turn negative experiences into positive ones.
By monitoring and responding to reviews, you can build trust with customers and improve your online reputation.
Also, remember to ask for reviews from your clients by giving them a quick link.
Step 4: Track Performance
The final step in conducting a Google My Business audit is to track your performance using Google My Business Insights.
Insights provide valuable data on how customers are interacting with your profile, including how many people are viewing your profile, how they are finding your business, and what actions they are taking. To use Google My Business Insights, follow these steps:
- Go to your Google My Business dashboard and click on “Insights”.
- Review the data provided, including how many people viewed your profile, how many clicked through to your website, and how many requested directions to your business.
- Use this data to make informed decisions about how to improve your profile and attract more customers.
By tracking your performance, you can identify areas for improvement and make data-driven decisions to enhance your online presence.
Use Campaign URL Builder: I personally like to utilize the tracking parameter for my GMB profile that links to my website. I can see the keywords and the performance that are driving traffic from the local map packs.
In conclusion, conducting regular Google My Business audits is essential for maximizing your online presence and attracting more customers to your business.
By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can claim and verify your listing, optimize your profile, monitor and respond to reviews, and track your performance using Google My Business Insights.
Remember to regularly update your profile and engage with customers to build trust and improve your online reputation.
I hope this guide has provided you with practical tips and insights on how to conduct a Google My Business audit and enhance your online visibility.
Here’s a simple full SEO checklist to download for free to start your own SEO journey.
Bonus Tips: Make sure you collect 15 or more reviews for your GMB profile.